This blog includes information for startups and entrepreneurs who want to create an app like Uber for long-haul trucking. Herein we’ve rounded up four salient features, which you can consider during logistics app development.
Technology has solved a lot of problems in the logistics industry. Whether it is ride-sharing or trucking services, technology has changed every area dramatically. If we are talking about the long-haul trucking, it is commonly abbreviated as LHT i.e. Long Haul Trucking and defined as the commercial truck trip, which is more than 200 miles from origin to destination. In addition, it is also known as over-the-road (OTR) trucking.
Before heading towards the salient features that startups need to integrate while developing an app for long-haul trucking, it would be better to have a quick look at the insights of the trucking industry, including its stats and trends.
Insights: The Stats & Trends of Trucking Industry
- The U.S. freight transportation industry includes various modes of transport such as air, water, rail, pipeline, and trucks. And, it is roughly worth $1 trillion as per the report from Plunkett Research. However, trucking makes 70% of that amount.
- Trucking is a huge industry and it embraces short haul, long haul, less-than-truckload, full-truckload and by feet size. Talking about the numbers of trucking industry, according to American Trucking Associations, “The market was $726 billion in 2015, $676 billion in 2016.” Taking these numbers into account, we can assume that there are huge opportunities in the trucking industry.
- According to Transparency Market Research, “The global market for transportation management system was valued at US$ 9,600.8 million in 2016. It will be rising at a healthy CAGR of 13.6% from 2017 to 2025. It is also predicted that it will touch US$ 30,044.1 million by the end of 2025.”
- There are different types of shipments, including courier service and parcel delivery, less-than-truckload shipments and full and partial truckload shipments. This is what you can see in the image.
- According to Google Trends, there is a comparison between long-haul trucking and Uber for trucking.
Let’s check out five important features, which trucking-related startups can’t-miss while developing an app like Uber for trucking.
4 Salient Features Need to Be Integrated Before Developing an App for Long Haul Trucking
1. Maps & Real-time Tracking
Being a startup, if you are planning to create an Uber-like app for trucking, then maps and real-time-tracking are essentials features among all. Well, the main goal of Uber-like trucking app is to lessen the burdens of shippers as well as drivers all long their ways to reach the load safely their desired destinations.
For shippers, an Uber-like app for trucking must have maps with recommended routes and real-time traffic information, which is surely what drivers expect from an Uber-like app for trucking.
Image Source: cargomatic
On the other hands, the real-time tracking feature is important to consider while developing an app for long-haul trucking as it allows shippers to track the live location of trucks.
By including GPS feature, it allows users to track the driver’s current location of moving and stopped drivers on a live map and helping them to keep tabs on fleet status and productivity.
2. Payment Integration
To build logistics haul trucking app, payment integration is the next important feature, which startups need to consider. For shippers, this feature simply allows users to pay online via the mobile app. To provide a seamless experience, it is important to include payment integration option to pay for the delivery service directly from the app. To make it more seamless, it is pivotal to add multiple card options like credit card, debit card, e-wallets such as Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Image Source: uber freight
Being a logistics startup, if you are planning to create an app for long-haul trucking, in-app payment feature is important to integrate during logistics app development.
3. In-App Messaging
To develop long-haul trucking app for the Uber-like platform, the in-app messaging feature is another important feature, which startups need to consider. In-app messaging is rich and visual notification feature, which enables shippers to chat or send direct message to drivers in order to know the current status of the shipment.
So, being a startup, you can also integrate in-app chat feature, where shippers and carriers can chat directly with the drivers and they can also send images, and other details of loads or shipments. Therefore, if you are planning to create a logistics app, an in-app messaging feature is worth to integrate, while developing an app like Uber for trucking. Approaching a professional logistics app development company will give you a result-oriented and trustworthy user-friendly feature integration.
4. Trip History
To avoid lots of issues, there is a trip history of shipment in the app, which is important to integrate, while developing an app like Uber for long-haul trucking. Both shippers and drivers can easily track their cargo and past shipping details in an app. With detailed trip history, app users can easily take records of shipping details.
By providing such a feature, it helps users to keep a record of the total trips of the vehicles without a hassle. It also lessens the burden to arrange a plethora of papers in order to check the trip history of their vehicles. In short, for truckers and shippers, there will be less paperwork to check the previous details of the trip.
So, make sure to consider this feature if you need to develop custom fleet management solutions for your long-haul trucking business.
On a Concluding Note,
You have just gone through with some salient features, which you can consider while developing an app like Uber for long-haul trucking. If you would like to develop an app and have an idea of developing an app like Uber for long trucking, then you can cross-verify it with us.
We are a leading app development company and have already developed over 60 Uber-like apps, including unique features and functionalities such as Live GPS tracking, social media integration, cross-platform ability, payment gateway integration, multi-lingual support, and visual calendar.
In case, if you still have any query or confusion regarding custom fleet management solutions, the cost of making freight finder app, trucking logistics app development, mobile app development cost estimate India or logistics app development, then you can get in touch with us through our contact us form. One of our sales representatives will revert to you as soon as possible. The consultation is absolutely free of cost.
You may also like:
- How Can Uber for Trucks Benefit the Trucking & Freight Industry?
- Uber for Trucking: Consider 3 Important Solutions Before Developing an App For Your Trucking Business
This page was last edited on May 7th, 2020, at 1:29.