Do you think creating an app is enough?
Well, you also need to make sure that it is totally bug-free.
But, how do you know that your app has no bugs?
Keep a mobile app testing checklist handy to ensure your app is thoroughly tested under all aspects.
As we are an app development company since 2010, our QA team knows the importance of developing bug-free applications.
Any app that we develop, we follow a checklist.
Today, we are going to create this easy checklist that contains a list of 183 different points to consider.
Just download this sheet below and share it with your testing team.
Further, we have also provided information on mobile app testing process and different types of testing procedures that the QA team needs to follow.
8 Steps to Follow for Mobile App Testing
To ensure mobile app quality, accurate testing is essential. Below is the step-by-step mobile app testing process to follow for a seamless user experience.
Test Cross-platform Compatibility
Cross-platform is developing an app that can be used on multiple platforms.
For example, Instagram, Walmart, and Facebook are cross-platform apps. If you want your app to run well on Android and iOS, cross-platform testing comes into the picture. You should ensure to test your application on all possible operating systems to check the screen size and resolution for a better user experience.
Test all Settings and Configurations of the App
An app interacts with multiple features of the mobile device and the app itself. So, the app should be compatible with all the settings and configurations that include screen resolution, different versions of OS, motion sensor, camera, etc.
Base Your Test Cases on the Type of the App
Driven by different technologies, native and hybrid apps share similar functionality and approach to testing. You can run functional testing here to check gestures, compatibility, connectivity, performance, and push notifications.
Test the UI Thoroughly
Front-end testing validates the UI of the app and the functionality of the mobile app graphic user interface.
This test includes a drop-down menu, navigation features, and other features that are used by the end user. Front-end testing ensures that the app tests under all conditions and performs on different browsers and devices.
Test the Back-end and Database Functionalities
Back-end or database testing deals with the server side of the mobile application. As many mobile apps are API-driven REST APIs help display the data in the UI and test, using a proxy to track the app requests and responses.
Test the Storage and Memory of the App
Mobile users like to download multiple apps at the same time. However, a few devices might not have the storage to fulfill the need of installing all the apps. Keep an eye on the app size every time you launch a new app. Ensure that you do not lose users only because the app size is large.
Test Your App Under all Types of Networks
Run the app on different network conditions to measure the performance even under weak network signals or large data transitions.
Test your app under these three points.
Jitters evaluate the time taken to transmit the data via the network.
Jitters’ frequency is a measure of variability as the data travels in the form of packets. As the data disperse while sending and receiving, it may take time depending on the size.
In such a network delay, the app should notify the user to either wait for a response or resend the data.
When you download a file, or any image, the tiny entities of data are sent or received over the internet known as packets. Failing to reach the destination is called packet loss.
- Network congestion
- Software bugs
- Security threats
- Network hardware
- Overloaded device
The major reasons for packet loss are.
The speed of the network varies from time to time, however, this should not hamper the user experience. To avoid this, check the app speed and performance on various networks and speed. Check the app’s behavior when it moves from the mobile network to a WiFi connection.
Test the Security Measures of the App
Due to diverse OS components, the security of the app might be difficult. However, follow the below steps to ensure mobile app security.
- Secure the source code and database
- Perform input validation
- Perform penetration test
- Prevent client-side injection
- Implement HTTPS-SSL/TLA security layer
- Protect local data storage
Now that you know the mobile app testing process, understand the various types of testing mobile applications to provide scalable and accessible applications across multiple platforms.
7 Types of Mobile Applications Testing
To ensure that each tester performs quality testing, here are 7 testing procedures to build a great application without any bugs.
As the name suggests, this approach to testing is to check if the app has met the functional requirement. While performing functionality testing, here are a few points to keep in mind.
- Check sign-in, sign-up, login, and functionality
- App response during push notification
- Declining calls while apps are running in the background
- Power consumption while using the application
- Check every form and field of the app
- Check compatibility with different OS versions
- Check UI errors
- Detect the conditions that will impact the functional aspect of the app
- Identify the scope of the business and perform best practices
Performance testing measures the responsiveness, speed, and adaptability of the application under various conditions. This testing approach allows you to test whether there is any burden on the app. Here are the aspects to test the performance of the app.
- Time to open the application
- Application review with frequent keypad entry
- Splash performance analysis to ensure it does not continue for more than 3 seconds
- Alliance with different apps without hindering performance
- App performance when there is low battery or any error warning
If you want to understand which tools are used for mobile app performance testing, read our detailed blog on mobile app performance testing.
Want to Develop a High-performance App?
Let’s talk. We have a dedicated team of developers and QA testers to ensure that the application works seamlessly on various devices.
UI/UX testing is challenging as the testers need to check the placement of the components on a smaller screen. With the help of mobile app automation, ensure the layout, functionality, and order, of the mobile app with a few other app testing scenarios like:
- Check the text on the app is visible and does not cut off from the side
- Ensure the popups, and alert notification appear correctly and at the right time
- Check navigation through the menu is seamless and swipe functions are working as expected
- Check the page load duration. If the page takes a longer time to load, have a progress bar that allows the user to get an idea about the delay
- Review the company logo and image size
- There should not be any lag in the content while the user scrolls up and down
- If the screen has editing option without saving, validate the message with a popup to save the details before shifting to another screen
- Check that the data does not get deleted pushing the app to the background while carrying out other function on the phone
To help you further, we have around 24 points in our checklist to consider while you perform UI/UX testing.
Usability determines the success of your app by measuring the easiness of user interaction. If you think that usability is not important then you are mistaken. Ensure the following to prevent the decrease in ROI, as users may prefer other apps that are appealing or those that offer the best UX.
- Create a sitemap to understand if users a finding it difficult to navigate
- Make sure that the design of the application is not dark so that users cannot read the content
- Check if the app offers security and safety towards the personal information of the user
- Look for navigational elements to ensure a user does not get lost in the app
- Look for call-to-action buttons, color, and content alignment
- Examine the menu of the app and ensure it is not clustered
- Ensure there are no tedious forms to fill by the users
- Find out if there are any image related issues
- Find if the app is browser compatibility
- Do thorough research on user preferences to check if the app is able to fulfill
It is important to check the app compatibility on various OS versions. However, it is not possible to test the app on all types. Follow the basic checklist below to check the compatibility of the application.
- Functional checking of buttons on all the devices and platforms
- Ensure there are no issues with the Image display, resolution, and performance issues on different platforms
- Check UI-related issues with other devices such as drop-down feature, menu issues, alignment issues, text color in frontend and background and of course the app scalability that fits without any trimming
- App behavior when auto-complete are on and off
Billions are lost due to cyber-attacks. Clients need assurance that their app is secured and that’s where security testing comes in place. This process ensures that the app is verified and the information is safe. The aspects that are tested are:
- Face identity or fingerprint verification
- Good storage of application data
- Encryption of data stored locally
- Third-party payment information is secured
- Validating app documents and agreements
If you think you can give accessibility the least importance, then your app will face a loss. Your app should be accessible to all sorts of people and in any situation. Ensure the accessibility checklist below while testing.
- Check the text size according to the user’s phone settings
- Orientation of the display text after screen rotation
- Check if the readers can identify the headings
- Test the non-text elements such as images, video, graphs, audio content, etc.
- Check the captions for audio/video content
- Read the entire content to ensure there is no disruption
- Check whether the app displays default language
- Ensure the layout and design is consistent
- Check the sensory characteristics
Would you like to add any point to this or the checklist that you have downloaded?
Let us know your thoughts.
At Space-O, we have experienced QA engineers who follow this checklist along with the latest testing tools to develop high-performance and secure mobile applications