This blog is for entrepreneurs and tech giants, who want to start their own eScooter sharing startup like Bird, Lime and Spin. Here, we have covered the top 6 scooter sharing system operators of 2018-19 along with their growth and market presence. It also contains approximate hours of developing eScooter app like Bird.
If you are living anywhere in Santa Monica, San Jose, San Diego, Washington, DC, and LA, you might have noticed e-scooters on the road that are highly preferred by people for their daily commute.
In less than a year, a number of fast-growing electric scooter startups have stocked San Francisco and U.S. city streets with lightweight and connected vehicles. Considered as a brand-new method of urban transit for the last mile of daily travel, these e-scooter companies have collectively raised more than $255 million from venture capitalists.
These e-scooters are the future of daily commutes like activity classes, office, tuition, and attending colleges on a big campus as students have recognized this new affordable way to get around in the city.
Before discussing 2018-19 top electric scooter system operators, let’s check out the overall growth and current market situation of e-scooter sharing startups.
The growth of Scooter Sharing Startups
- The worldwide electric shooter market size was valued at USD 17,630 million in the year 2017 and is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 12.8% during the forecast period, according to the report by Polaris Market Research.
- The arrival of increased greenhouse and carbon emissions both are expected to contribute to the adoption of electric scooters over the next eight years. This graph shows the electric scooters market by product, 2014 – 2024.
- E-Scooter sharing startups like Bird, Limebike, Spin, and Skip are making money in the same way their much larger car-sharing counterpart Uber does.
- As per the report from Polaris Market Research, electric scooters app are in high demand compared to electric motorcycles. Moreover, these Li-ion battery-based scooters are expected to witness the highest growth in demand.
- Bird has launched its e-scooter services in Paris and laid out its intentioned to bring electric scooters to Tel Aviv.
Image Source: TechCrunch
- Countrywide, you can find Bird, Spin, Lime, Goat and Skip that have collectively deployed scooters in 33 cities.
- When it comes to talking about the new player in the escooter industry, Wind Mobility, a Berlin-based mobility startup, offers dockless escooter rental services. This startup has raised $22 million in seed funding, giving competition to Bird and Lime.
- Talking about another newly e-scooter service provider, Grab, has announced that its innovation arm named Grab Ventures is partnering NUS to introduce an e-scooter sharing service in NUS’ Kent Ridge campus. A three-month trial service has been launched by the company and noticed e-scooters deployed across eight parking stations within the campus.
- According to the latest news crunchbase.com, the sharing economy or we can say that e-scooter marketing is about to scoot into 2019. There are many new players that have entered the market, providing last-mile transportation service to residents of different countries. In fact, more than half of the global e-scooter companies that are listed were founded in 2018.
- Another company named Spin that was founded as a bikeshare business has declared its foray into scooters that same month. In short, the scooter add-ons came into the limelight after Bird introduced scooter trend with its first launch in Santa Monica, CA.
- As per the latest report from The Verge, mobile users of Google Maps have a new feature to track shared scooters, bikes and e-bikes. This new functionality expands on the pilot program that Google launched in December to integrate rental scooters and bicycles into its app.
2018-19 Top 6 Scooter Sharing System Operators That Have Gained Much Attention
1. Bird – Electric Vehicle Sharing Company
Based in Santa Monica, California, Bird is a dockless scooter sharing startup that is popular for operating electric scooters in cities throughout North America, at a cost of one dollar to rent plus fifteen cents a minute.
Talking about total funding amount, Bird has raised $415 million in funding so far; however, the startup has recently secured the funding of $300 million in a round led by Sequoia Capital. It was the second round of funding that Bird secured in the past few months.
The funding amount has sent the company from a reported $1 billion valuation in May to a $2 billion valuation by the end of June. Moreover, the company has become the first electric scooter sharing unicorn.
According to the latest report from TechCrunch, Uber is reportedly looking to acquire an electric scooter company. The ride-hailing giant held acquisition talks with e-scooter startups Bird and Lime. When it comes to deal for Bird, which is the biggest of the two e-scooter companies, it could carry a multibillion-dollar price tag. The reports are saying that Uber is about to announce a deal before the end of the year.
As per another news from TechCrunch, Bird, electric scooter startup, is about to extend its Series C funding with an additional $300 million led by cross-over investor Fidelity. As of now, the company, Bird, has declined to comment, but so far, it has raised more than $400 million in venture capital funding.
Image Source: Bird
The people can locate and unlock the e-scooter through a smartphone application that comes with a range of features, including:
- Maps to Find Nearby Scooter
- Real-time GPS Tracking
- QR Code Integration to Lock and Unlock
- Payment Gateway Integration
- Smart Lock
2. Lime – Your Ride Anytime
Founded back in 2017, Lime is one of the most buzzworthy scooter startups, helping people to move around their cities in an affordable and convenient way while eliminating their carbon footprint.
Recently, the company has raised $335 million round and teamed up with transportation behemoth Uber. Moreover, the company has gone international by launching its services in Madrid, launching hundreds of electric scooters in the Spanish Capital. Lime has already hit over 3 million rides across the fleets of bikes and scooters.
According to one of the latest news from TechCrunch, Lime has differentiated its scooters and bikes with a physical storefront, where it can convince customers for on-demand mobility. The startup is planning to open a lifestyle brand store in Santa Monica to rent vehicles directly from the store as well as charge them. The full-time manager will guide the customers and his role includes monitoring inventory levels and daily operations.
The company has launched its e-scooter service in Sydney earlier this month and planning to tackle the market differently from its predecessors with heavier bikes that are electric, consultations with local councils and a team of 50 already employed to run its Australian operations.
As per the recent news from Lime, the company has launched in the United Kingdom today with a group of dockless electric-assist bikes in a Milton Keynes shopping center. The company is also planning to expand into more U.K cities in the next couple of weeks. As per another report from TechCrunch, Lime has just announced it has raised a $310 million Series D round that led by Bain Capital Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, Fidelity Ventures, GV and IVP.
Image Source: Lime
The Lime rider needs to download the application in the device to check nearby scooters and e-bikes, scan the QR code or enter a number to unlock and lock-up safely when finished riding. Here are some of the main features of the lime bike:
- Find a nearby Lime-S (electric scooter ).
- Unlock your ride by scanning the QR code or entering the ID.
- Safe & Secure Payment Through Payment Gateway Integration.
Want to Convert Your e-Scooter Sharing App Idea Into Reality?
3. Spin – Ride Your Way
Founded in 2016 by Derrick Ko, Euwyn Poon, and Zaizhuang Cheng, Spin is an electric scooter startup that has raised total funding amount of $8 Million that led by investors like Grishin Robotics, CRCM Ventures, and Exponent.
According to the TechCrunch, the company is raising around $125 million through blockchain-based security token offering (STO), Axios first reported and TechCrunch has also learned. Talking about this startup, it is one of the popular electric scooter service providers that is currently available in more than 19 cities as seen in the below image.
Image Source: Spin
Last year, Spin brought its stationless bike-share program to South San Francisco, but in the month of January, the company unveiled its stationless electric bikes and it is solely focusing on electric scooters, according to the sources. According to another latest news from statenews.com, the company acquired by the Ford Motor Company late last year, and it may join Lime and Bird on local streets this spring if the East Lansing City Council establishes planned regulations.
Riders of East Lansing City can access the electric scooter service through the Spin app, allowing them to find nearby scooters and book as per their convenience. Here are some of the exclusive features of the Spin app:
- Map to find the nearest e-scooters.
- Enter your payment details and receive an automatic free trip.
- The QR code to unlock the scooter and ride it.
4. Skip – The Best Way to Get There
Skip is a San Francisco-based dockless electric scooter startup that is launched by Boosted Boards. According to the latest report from TechCrunch, “The dockless e-scooter startup, Skip, has raised $6 million in Seed funding with these top strategies. The funding amount led by Initialized Capital via Alexis Ohanian (Reddit co-founder) and Ronny Conway’s A Capital, with SV Angel”.
The company has landed permits to operate in Portland under a new pilot program that aims to gauge how the controversial form of micro-transportation will fit in the city. So, the commuters can download the Skip application in their smartphone to locate the nearest scooter, scan a QR code and they are good to go.
Image Source: Skip
Using skip application, users can find nearby e-scooters and book in advance. They can unlock the scooter through a QR code and ride it as per their convenience. Here are some of the top features of Skip application:
- Maps to look for the e-scooters nearby.
- Schedule Ride allows people to schedule the ride in advance so that they don’t get to the place.
- Unlock the bike using the QR code.
- Make payment of the ride through payment gateway integration.
- Social media integration to share with friends and relatives.
5. Goat – Dockless Scooter Rental
When it comes to talking about dockless electric scooter company in Austin, GOAT has received official permits from the city’s transportation department for its pilot program. The spokesperson of the company says the company plans to continue partnering with local cities to launch its electric scooter service across the nation.
This e-scooter sharing system operator has not raised any venture capital dollars, and so far, the company has deployed about 20 scooters in Austin – although it has a permit for up to 500. While the competitors of this startup have already put out 500 scooters each on local streets.
Image Source: GOAT
Moreover, the GOAT app provides instant access to dockless electric scooters in cities and on campuses. Commuters just need to download the app and can get access to the following features:
- Instantly find a nearby scooter on the map.
- Unlock scooter through QR code & ride anywhere.
- Reserve a scooter in advance using schedule feature.
- Share with your friends and ride together through social media integration.
6. Wind Mobility – Smart E-Scooter Sharing
Wind Mobility is a micro-mobility company that is started in the year 2017 by Eric Wang. The company is dedicated to offering convenient, safe, and fun last mile transportation services. Recently, this Berlin-based mobility startup has raised $22 million in seed funding, giving competition to Bird and Lime.
Providing its Escooter services to different cities, companies, hotels and universities with different solutions from hourly/daily rents and employee bonus programs for clients. So, users can download the Wind Mobility app from the app stores and get ready to try this new escooter service. Talking about the features of this new Escooter app, here’s the complete list:
- Search for nearby E-Scooters
- Unlock with one click using WIND app
- Enjoy your ride and make payments
- End your ride and lock the scooter
So, these are the 6 successful electric scooter sharing startups that are doing extremely well in the market. By considering the growth and success of these electric scooter startups, if you have decided to start your own e-scooter sharing startup and develop an app like Bird and Lime-S, then check out the 6 common features of eScooter app to consider while developing your own apps like Bird and Lime.
Share this Image On Your Site
Now, moving ahead, let’s have a look at the approximate hours of developing eScooter apps like Bird and Lime.
Approximate Hours of Developing E-Scooter Apps like Bird and Lime
The approximate hours of developing eScooter apps like Bird and Lime are 900 to 1000 hours that are identified by one of sr. mobile app developers. These development hours vary, depending upon the mobile app development company that you prefer to hire for your project. To get the exact development hours according to your requirements, talk to our sales representative, who provides a free consultation to all prospect.
Ready to Turn Your E-scooter App Idea into a Successful E-scooter app like Bird?
You have already checked that e-scooter sharing startups are growing rapidly like the ride-hailing market. There are many investors, who are taking an interest in these electric scooter startups and investing a lot of money. Still, there is a big room for all those entrepreneurs and startups, who are planning to enter the E-scooter market.
If you have feedback or ideas on e-scooter app development or ready to start your own electric scooter sharing business, you can get in touch with us as we are a leading e-scooter app development company and one-stop solution for every app development need. Being a leading e-scooter app development company, we have understood the e-scooter market and provides e-scooter app development services.
Just fill our contact us form and our mobile app consultant, who has experience of serving small to medium enterprises, will get back to you in less than 48 hours. Our experts have great development and designing skills.
Note: To keep our readers informed with the latest information with scooter sharing system, we will keep updating this blog and add new scooter sharing operators in the near future.