- The cost of hiring a remote developer ranges from $25 to $100+ per hour. However, hiring remote developers depends on factors like location, skill level and the project’s complexity.
If you want to hire remote developers to build an app or software for your business, you must read this blog post.
Due to the vast pool of developers available on different platforms, finding skilled remote developers who perfectly match your requirements is difficult and time-consuming. To put this into perspective, according to Statista, the global developer population is expected to reach 28.7 million people by 2024. With such a large and growing number of developers, the task of selecting the right talent for your project becomes even more difficult.
As a leading software development company in the USA, we understand what factors, costs, benefits, and challenges arise when hiring remote developers for your project. With experience in helping over 1200 clients, we have the experience to guide you through this hiring process.
So, here is a blog that helps you know how to hire remote developers in 5 easy steps. Let’s get started.
Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- 5 Steps to Hire Remote Developers
- 7 Best Sites to Hire Remote Developers
- Cost to Hire a Remote Developer
- 4 Benefits to Hire Remote Developers
- 3 Challenges You Face While Hiring
- FAQs About Hiring Remote Developers
- Build Your Remote Team
5 Steps to Hire Remote Developers for Your Project
Here are the 5 steps you need to consider while hiring remote developers for your project.
Define the Expertise and Skills Required to Hire Developers
The first step you need to do is to profile the types of developers who will best meet your requirements. Before you start your search, you must have an overview of the qualities and skills you are looking for in potential candidates.
Consider the following questions before starting with the hiring process.
- What specific category or specialization of developers do you need?
- What roles and responsibilities do you envision for the developers you’re hiring?
- Which specific skills and expertise should the developers possess to fulfill your requirements?
- Are you looking for junior, mid-level, or senior developers to join your team?
- What performance standards and expectations do you have for the developers?
- What is the budget you’ve allocated for hiring remote developers?
By making your requirements clear, it becomes easy for you to get the right developer for your project. Next, you need to identify where to find these candidates.
Contact Companies or Different Platforms for Hiring Remote Developers
Getting the right remote resource is essential not only when you are hiring candidates but also when you are outsourcing any services. When it comes to finding remote developers, you have access to multiple platforms that address various hiring needs.
Before approaching any platform you need to carry out thorough research. Here is a table that describes different platforms with its pros and cons.
Type of Platform Description Pros Cons Freelance Websites Online platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, and Toptal offer a diverse pool of freelance developers.
- Offers a pool of freshers and experienced developers.
- Facilitates access to highly specialized skills.
- Enables scalability to address shifting workforce demands.
- Hard to select candidates due to varying skills.
- Requires comprehensive screening due to the wide array of options.
Development Companies Custom development companies offer skilled remote developers for your software projects.
- Vetted developers speed up the hiring process.
- Expertise across domains ensures you get the exact skills you need.
- Client testimonials and portfolios speak about the quality of work.
- Less control over the individual hiring process.
Recruitment Agencies Specialized agencies that identify and vet remote candidates on your behalf.
- Quickly identify suitable candidates.
- Thoroughly vet candidates with expert precision.
- Provide industry insights for informed decisions.
- Often charge fees or commissions for the services.
- Offer less direct control over the hiring process and candidate selection.
Social Media Platforms such as LinkedIn, Twitter, and Reddit used for networking and candidate discovery.
- Harness networking opportunities for candidate discovery.
- Gain insights into candidates’ online presence.
- Engage candidates directly through interactive discussions.
- Does not provide a comprehensive view of candidates’ qualifications.
Networking Referrals from industry contacts, friends, or current employees.
- Foster cultural alignment through referred candidates.
- Obtain trustworthy referrals easily.
- Streamlined onboarding through recommended hires.
- Operate within a narrower candidate pool compared to larger platforms.
- Lack standardized vetting procedures.
Now you have an overview of the options available for hiring remote developers. If you are still unsure about the process of hiring then read our post on how to hire a software development company. This will help you understand the complete process to identify reliable service providers.
Aside from this, budget considerations are essential. Freelance websites often involve listing fees, while recruitment companies may charge a percentage of the chosen candidate’s compensation. Whereas, development companies often provide comprehensive packages.
With knowledge of all these options, you are now ready to select the one that fits your needs.
Screen and Shortlist the Ideal Candidates
Now that you have contacted a company or platform, you need to evaluate the technical skills such as programming proficiency, expertise in using version control systems, and qualifications of the remote developer. During this screening process, look for the details of each candidate’s technical proficiencies and experience related to different projects.
Important points to consider while screening candidates for your project
- Assess previous projects to know domain expertise and hands-on experience.
- Validate technical expertise by conducting coding assessments or reviewing sample projects.
- Evaluate the developer’s skills to tackle challenges and innovate solutions.
After screening you need to narrow down your choices that fits your project. Check not only technical skills but also how well developers work as part of a remote team. Shortlist candidates who are good at communication, showcase adaptability and have the ability to collaborate remotely.
The main focus of this step is to select the right remote developers for your team. This approach makes sure that your selected candidates contribute to a smooth development process.
Select the Right Hiring Model for Your Project
After shortlisting the candidates, the most important consideration is to select the right hiring model. You have the flexibility to choose the hiring model based on your project specifications.
There are 3 types of hiring models you need to consider while remote hiring. Understanding these hiring models helps you to make informed decisions and bring the most suitable remote employee on board.
Here is the table containing the information you require about different hiring models.
Aspects Hourly Based Hiring Dedicated Hiring Part-time Hiring Description Employees are paid based on the hours they work. Long-term hiring of resources focused on a specific project. Hiring employees for tasks requiring less than full-time work. Engagement Duration Typically used for short-term or project-based work. Involves resources dedicated to a project over the long term. Varied work duration, less than full-time commitment. Time Commitment Work hours are flexible, based on project needs. Employees work full-time, dedicatedly for specific projects. Employees work fewer hours than full-time positions. Benefits Offers resource flexibility, suitable for various projects. Provides strong project control and customization. Cost-effective solution for specific and limited tasks. Challenges Tracking hours can be complex. Higher cost due to exclusive resource allocation. Requires efficient communication due to a part-time schedule.
Now that you have a detailed understanding of the hiring models, there are certain software development service providers like Space-O Technologies that offer all of these hiring models, providing you with the flexibility to hire a remote developer by choosing your preferred hiring model.
Recently, one of our clients, Douglas Laver from Australia, hired a remote team to work dedicatedly on his project. Below is a testimonial showcasing how pleased the client was with the team’s performance.
After selecting the hiring model that aligns best with your project’s needs, let’s move on to the next important step.
Hire Remote Developers for Your Project
After carrying out thorough research, screening the candidates, shortlisting and picking the right candidate you land on the final step which includes bringing the developer on board. As you approach the final stage there are certain formalities you must consider. Here are some of the formalities to carry out.
- Ensure signing an NDA before sharing sensitive information.
- Issue a contract specifying terms, pay, work hours, and project scope.
- Share software access for quick contributions and progress.
- Assign roles clearly to define responsibilities for developers.
- Develop guidelines for coding and documentation to ensure consistency.
Want to Hire Remote Developers for Your Project?
We have experienced developers who are experts at delivering innovative solutions for your industry-specific development projects.
After covering the hiring process of developers. Let’s give you a list of the best sites where you can find your required remote developer.
7 Best Sites to Hire Remote Developers
Here is a table containing the best companies or sites to find remote developers.
|Project-based||Hire remote software developers from the top agency in the USA. Developers have expertise in developing custom app solutions using technologies like React, Flutter, Swift, Kotlin, and Java.|
|Freelancer-based||Availability to a wide pool of developers for diverse projects, connecting clients with skilled freelance remote developers across various domains.|
|Expert-based||Secure remote tech experts through a stringent screening process, ensuring specialized developers for complex projects.|
|Freelancer-based||Choose from a diverse community of developers for various tasks, tapping into a wide range of expertise.|
|Gig-based||Hire remote talent for your projects, leveraging specialized freelancers offering a variety of services.|
|Direct Hiring||Expand your remote development team by networking, connecting with professionals, and exploring potential hires on this renowned platform.|
|Freelancer-based||Source developers from a curated pool, ensuring tailored matches for your specific project requirements.|
Now that you have a list of the sites you need to reach out to in order to find the right remote developer for your project, you might be interested in understanding the costs associated with hiring remote employees. Therefore, here is the information about the expenses involved in hiring a remote developer.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Remote Developer?
The average cost to hire a remote developer ranges from $25 to $100+ per hour. However, it can be challenging to figure out the exact cost of hiring a remote software developer because it depends on factors like project’s complexity, the developer’s location, and the skill set and level of experience.
If you consider hiring developers in locations with lower costs of living, you might find that senior developers with specialized expertise charge $100 or more per hour while beginner developers may price as low as $25 per hour.
All of this data is listed after analyzing reliable websites like Clutch and Salary.com.
After knowing the cost of hiring remote developers, let’s look at the benefits of hiring remote developers.
4 Benefits to Hire Remote Developers
Let’s learn about the benefits you get by hiring remote developers for your software development projects.
Provides Access to a Global Talent Pool
In the past, geographical boundaries constrained businesses to hire from the local vicinity, limiting the potential for finding the most suitable expertise. However, remote hiring allows you to get access to a worldwide workforce and makes it easy to choose developers who have the relevant expertise that you require for your project.
Having such a wide talent helps you get a developer who is not only technically skilled but also brings a unique perspective and innovative solutions to the table. This strategic benefit of hiring remote team members helps you build a well-rounded and competitive team for your software development project.
Helps You Build Teams with Diverse Skill Sets
Remote hiring allows you to build a team that covers technical proficiencies. With varied experiences and backgrounds, your team approaches problems from different angles and brainstorms innovative solutions. The skill set of the remote team includes a range of tools, languages and frameworks, including the following.
- Have knowledge of front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, React, Angular) and back-end frameworks (Node.js, Django, Flask).
- Excels at iOS (Swift) and Android (Kotlin) development.
- Have expertise in AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud which aids in efficient deployment.
Reduces Costs for Your Company
Choosing remote hiring allows you to reduce costs while securing top-tier talent and maintaining operational efficiency. With this, you eliminate the need to provide physical workspace and related facilities. Whereas traditional hiring comes with overhead costs, including office space, equipment used and the utilization of on-site resources.
Mostly, the remote developers team operates as independent contractors or freelancers, which reduces the expenses related to health benefits, insurance, or paid leave. Also, you can hire software developers from regions that have lower living costs, which provides you with high-quality technical skills at a reduced expenditure.
Enables Round-the-clock Productivity
With team members spread across various time zones, work remains uninterrupted in your remote setup. As one part of the team wraps up for the day, another team initiates work on the project, ensuring a seamless flow of progress.
This configuration provides for easy transitions between distributed teams, ensuring that remote work proceeds forward at all times. This also has the advantage that even when you are not working, having team members all around the world guarantees that tasks are kept going leads to speed up the software development process and helps in finishing the project faster.
Hire Skilled Remote Developers for Your Project
Connect with us. We have a team of developers that can help you to build your feature-rich solution as per your requirements.
3 Challenges You Face While Hiring Remote Developers
Here are the major challenges you might face along with the solutions when hiring remote developers for your development project.
Lacks to Deliver the Quality of Services Required
The geographical gap between your company and skilled remote software developers can lead to a lack of understanding of your company’s work culture, values, and quality standards, resulting in subpar results. Also, there is a risk of hiring inexperienced developers at times, which further impacts the overall quality of the work produced.
- Clarify company values and quality standards during initial onboarding.
- Provide thorough project briefs that include technical requirements.
- Implement an evaluation process including coding tests and portfolio reviews.
Finds It Challenging to Facilitate Smooth Communication and Collaboration
Not having a face-to-face interaction sometimes leads to misunderstanding of the instructions, delays in communication and lack of immediate response to queries. Also, fully relying on digital tools for communication leads you to complicate smooth information sharing.
- Integrate the latest communication channels to facilitate real-time interactions.
- Set a regular schedule for virtual meeting times to help developers stay updated with the updates.
- Create an environment where your remote team shares queries and insights.
Faces Difficulty in Monitoring Ongoing Progress
Unlike an office environment, remote work might make it more difficult to watch and understand developers’ everyday activities and working processes. Since there is no direct supervision, it is hard to keep track of the actions and procedures of remote developers, which could lead to a gap between you and the remote team.
- Use project management tools to distribute tasks, set deadlines, and monitor development.
- Encourage developers to document remote work processes, decisions, and progress in detail.
- Implement time-tracking software that allows full-time remote developers to log work hours and tasks.
FAQs About Hiring Remote Developers
What are the factors to consider while hiring remote developers?
Here are the factors you need to consider while selecting remote developers for your project.
- Assess the skills and expertise of the developers in alignment with your project requirements.
- Ensure developers are able to convey ideas, collaborate with your team, and provide regular updates despite working remotely.
- Consider the minimal differences in the time zones to ensure efficient communication, reducing errors and delays.
- Look into developers’ previous work and project portfolios to assess developers’ experience and ability to handle complex tasks.
- Verify that developers are familiar with the latest technologies, tools and programming languages.
- Establish a clear reporting structure with the developers to ensure a transparent flow of project progress updates.
What are the technical skills to consider when hiring a remote developer?
Here are the technical skills to consider when hiring a remote developer.
- Skill in navigating frameworks like Angular, Django, and Spring.
- Mastery in using version control systems like Git.
- A solid foundation in algorithms and data structures.
- Must follow coding standards and experience with cloud platforms.
- Proficiency in using remote collaboration tools.
What is the difference between in-house developers and remote developers?
Here is the table that will help you get a clear understanding of the difference between in-house and remote developers.
|In-house Developers||Remote Developers|
|Work from the office premises, enabling direct interactions.||Work remotely from various locations, using virtual tools.|
|Benefit from in-person interactions, and receiving instant feedback.||Collaborate via virtual channels, needing digital skills.|
|Have limited flexibility in hours and environment.||Enjoy work hours and location flexibility.|
|Expenses for office space, utilities, and equipment are added to the overall cost.||Reduce your expenses by using your own office and resources.|
Build Your Team With the Best Remote Developers
In this blog, you have learned all the aspects of hiring remote developers, from the steps for hiring remote developers to the challenges faced. Remember, getting the right team of developers to work on your project is so important.
Just in case you are searching for a company that can help provide the best developers for your software or web app development project, Space-O Technologies is here to help you. Being an experienced software development company, we provide a team of experienced and talented developers with years of experience in developing custom web apps and software for your business.
Space-O Technologies offers different models of hiring, including the hourly priced model, dedicated team model, and fixed price model. Let’s discuss your requirements for remote developers to help you find the perfect fit to carry out your projects. Contact us.