There are wide number of programs that are used for large projects and one such program is Ruby on Rails that are widely used due to its flexibility and simplicity nature.
Why Ruby on Rails and not other?
Ruby is a scripting language also known as Matz, as it was designed by Yukihiro Matsumoto of Japan. Ruby is a object oriented programming language that is explicitly designed and has the ability to run on a variety of platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS, and the various versions of UNIX. Ruby is a general-purpose, interpreted programming language like PERL and Python. Being a versatile tool, its at its close to the top of the language power continuum. As such it has sharp knife-like edges. Thus the synergy between a cool language, pragmatic web framework, and excellent community gives Rails a much better than the sum of its parts.
Below are some of the salient features of Ruby on Rails:
Maintainability: Rather than centering on readability Ruby and Rails creates more maintainable code at less $ with high performance creating lot of functionality, hence it is positioned high on a dynamic language. Added to this, the on test-driven development reduces the amount of bugs and almost improves the chance of relapsing. Rails is an easy application framework for understanding and maintaining especially for developer and for the team.
Dynamic vs. Static: Considering from the standpoint of a development team, static languages have an exceptional advantage of being overt. The new developers cannot go through any magical powers to lessen their confusion and there must be wee-bit effort when it comes to chasing down ghosts (in theory, anyways). The dynamic language quickly overshadow to take advantage of OOP and start to develop rapidly.
Dynamic nature of Ruby let you do few things:
- You can skip explicit compilation step to see changes that made in the program, thereby saving time during development.
- Though you do not have access to source code, try to supplement or patch any library or part of the code. This is not usually recommended but there are several situation in third party code where this feature helps to work around major issues.
- Try to keep the code as less as possible, whether it is writing 13 lines of C# per hour or write same 13 lines of Ruby; at the end the programmer tend to produce same amount of line. Hence cut down to fewer lines of codes to increase the productivity and to reduce number of bugs
Ubiquity: Ruby strikes to be at one of the top language and there is no doubt that the obtainability of the skilled Ruby programmers depicts this. Technically, Ruby is more refined than Java or C#, being closer to Smalltalk in terms of OO purity and closer to LISP in terms of meta-programming facilities.
Reliability and Availability: On comparing with .NET. the Scalability rises to the same problem no matter which ever technology it is stacked to.
Flexibility and simplicity: Ruby on Rails establishes a prototype of the program in no-time that allows things to go smoothly and its streamlined nature helps the developers to get their products on the market much quicker, hence it results in making it more flexible and simpler.
Collaboration: Having extremely active and receptive Ruby development Community, the people are constantly developing code along with talking with other APIs, as such, our developers has a diverse toolkit to lean on.
Modularity: Rails’ structure makes it easy to accommodate change. This is certainly true for many MVC frameworks, though Rails is particularly good at restructuring your application flow, reusing components in a simple way.
Rails having simpler structure makes it to easily bend to changes, as it is nearly accurate to many MVC frameworks, by reusing components in a simpler way it make the rails to easily have flow of the application
- Programming makes fun and is very easy of not having to code much.
- the complete framework is focused on agile development.
- Ruby is a rich language which cannot be executed at the same speed as many .NET languages can
- It has a very productive framework – it is caching, MVC … integrated too.
- Among Programming languages Ruby is very modern. It is much more dynamic and not strongly typed like C#, Java, it has mixins.
- RoR’s deployment and simple ways to push to live sites – no scripts to run at all, just a bit of command line will get one up and running once the code is actually written.
- If you RoR is chosen, understand the command line- it will make the programming much easier
Ecosystem and architecture: Having Ruby and ROR projects which are open source, moves faster in the modern programming techniques with more challenges. .NET is right behind to make it up with ROR, this can be detailed out with below examples
Entity Framework is almost the duplication of ROR ActiveRecord component
- NuGET (.NET package manager) influenced by Gems infrastructure available to ruby developers since 2004.
- Development with ASP.NET MVC and Entity Framework are almost very much like ROR development. ROR has the capacity to provide finite things at a programmer disposal.
when compared to ASP.NET MVC,ROR ommunity is larger and it is much easier to get help or find an approacble library for our task and ROR commuity is
Pros of Ruby on Rails:
- Open Source and Community Driven
- Very good OR/M – Saves a ton of work, and there is very little setup to be up and running (no nasty XML files, etc.)
- MVC, filters, etc. very useful
- Cross platform, works every
- Ruby is a terse language (compared to more traditional c-style languages), well thought-out, and very readable
- Extremely Scalable (a front end proxy balancer will do it)
- Built in unit testing and Ajax support
- Built-in testing framework
- Clean separation of layers
- Zero configuration (convention over configuration)
- Extremely flexible
- Mainstream, good community and lots of books
- Lots of interesting plug-ins and gems you can use to save time.
- Active, friendly, helpful community.
Cons of Ruby on Rails:
- Single threaded. Fortunately this doesn’t prevent us to build scalable applications
- No Unicode yet. You can overcome this with JRuby on Rails and Iron Ruby on Rails
- Green threads. It doesn’t use real OS threads.
- Hard to prove correctness of your code. Requires mounds of unit testing (which can easily take more time than coding the app itself).
- Large web apps become rather unwieldy. Rails is better suited to smaller, tighter code bases. Because it uses a dynamically typed, interpreted language, risk of regression bugs in your app increases exponentially with the size of the code base.
- Hard to debug, step through code, etc. Again, new IDE support may help some with this, but it will be some time before it is on par with, say,ASP.NET.
- Rails development in a Windows environment is not as well supported as on a Mac.
- The down side of the MVC pattern. You have to type a lot of html
Pros for .NET:
- As it uses .NET platform hence entire .NET library is at user’s command.
- It is rightly documented and streamlined
- It can do wonders any where as it cross platformed and works singly
- Mono.NET is an open source
- Ajax is extremely easy and by using an update panel you are good to go
Cons for .NET:
- The .NET page life cycle is too complex. The Loading dynamic controls runtime, view state issues, custom controls.
- It can be a true performance, but failing to notice it can be a killer, It helps a lot to emulate a stateful web.
- Generated HTML: the html does not part with other as .NET generates complex html.
- As Unit test is important is becomes hard on unit test
Hence in order to get Ruby on Rails for your business, Space-O is always there to help our clients to help them understand and their large scale projects and development with right framework. To get more insight about the same and achieve your enterprise goals contact us to build right program with our talented developers and programs who know the subject in-depth.
Your are in right place to build your next mobile or Web App right now with Ruby on Rails, Space-O is the best team to captivate when it comes to Ruby on Rails large project development, we have best of the developers who knows how to use it right, its pros and cons and how to effectively empower them to you. we have best of the best client development large scale projects under our belt and we will be very glad to serve you as our client.