According to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics, software developer jobs will grow 22% between 2019 and 2029. This is much higher than all other occupations.
This opportunity also opens doors for aspiring Apple iOS developers. But now the question arises, how and what skills you need to become an iOS developer. If you are juggling between such thoughts, then stop stressing over it because we have decided to write a complete guide for an aspiring iOS developer. Shall we continue?
- Increasing Demand of iOS Developers
- Average Salary of iOS Developers
- How to Become an iOS Developer?
- Skills You Need to Become an iOS Developer
- Best Resources to Start Your Career in iOS Development
- Prepare Your Resume
- How to Choose Your Company?
- Prepare for iOS Developer Interview
- Begin Your Journey
Increasing Demand of iOS Developers
According to Statista, thousands of iOS applications get published on Apple App Store every month. In fact, in the year 2020, customers have spent $72.3 billion in the Apple App Store for in-app purchases, subscriptions, and premium apps.
With this, the demand for iOS app developers is increasing every month and every single day. From developing a new iOS application to maintaining them and adding new features into an app, an iOS app developer has a great career opportunity in this field.
Even from a job security aspect, this career path is showing no signs of slowing down in the future. Instead, iOS developers are earning huge amounts of money. To confirm this, you can check the average iOS salary of iOS developers.
Average Salary of iOS Developers
Here, we have mentioned the average salary of USA-based iOS developers, considering Payscale, Glassdoor, Indeed, and LinkedIn. Please take a look:
- Average Salar: $89,444/year
- Salary Profiles: 944
- Average Salary: $96,016/year
- Salary Profiles: 3291
- Average Salary: $120,823/year
- Salary Profiles: 1.2K
- Average Salary: $110,000/year
- Salary Profiles: 666
After discussing the average salary of iOS developers, check mentioned 6 steps for being an iOS developer. Proceed to all the steps one-by-one to reach your goal.
How to Become an iOS Developer?
Learn the Basics
Understand iOS App Development Lifecycle
Get the Required Training
Start Developing iOS Apps
Upload App to GitHub
Publish App to the Apple App Store
Please start with the basics to learn the fundamentals of Objective-C & Swift programming languages, as they are the primary programming languages to build iOS applications. Moreover, learn using the iOS application development tools, such as Xcode (integrated development environment).
Being a beginner, you might not know about the development lifecycle. Therefore, it is recommended for you to be aware of the iOS app lifecycle, which will help you to understand the application’s behavior.
In case you are stuck somewhere, get the required training to accomplish your goals. You can refer to these 12 best iOS app development courses. We have shared a detailed comparison, so you know which one perfectly suits your requirements.
Once you get enough training, start developing iOS applications from scratch. You can start with simple apps that are easy to develop and then gradually focus on developing complex iOS applications.
Uploading iOS applications to GitHub will showcase your work, and it will attract recruiters. Many recruiters look into the GitHub profiles to hire developers. If you have a GitHub profile and upload an app, this means you have a high chance of getting recruited.
In case you wish to earn money out of your iOS app, then publish it to the App Store. As of January 2021, Apple has paid more than $200 billion to iOS app developers for selling goods and services through the Apple App Store. The next iOS app developer can be you.
But what core skills do you need to develop an iOS app? Please check this in the next section.
Have a Project in Your Mind?
Want to validate your app idea? Want to get a free consultation from an expert?
Skills You Need to Become an iOS Developer
Here is the image representing almost all the essential skills you need for becoming an iOS developer.
No doubt, you also want to know the best resources to learn essential skills to develop iOS applications. Therefore, this next section is for you.
Best Resources to Start Your Career in iOS Development
We have divided these resources into 4 different categories, so you can adopt one of the suitable categories. Start your preparation to build iOS applications as well as to start your career in iOS development.
|Courses||Become an iOS Developer from Scratch||Free|
|Become an iOS Developer||$314.59 / month|
|Books||The Swift Programming Language||Free|
|Intro to iOS Development with Swift||Free|
|iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide||$36.36|
Now, we will discuss how you should prepare your resume. Check common do’s and don’ts that you may need to consider while preparing your technical resume for an iOS app developer.
Prepare Your Resume
A resume gives the first impression of your work. Therefore, it becomes essential to make it attractive and engaging to increase your chances of getting selected.
Let’s check the list of do’s and don’ts.
1. Start with a summary that stands out. Ensure you highlight the most desirable qualities of an iOS developer, including your skills but keep it short.
1. Don’t stretch word limits while writing the summary. Keep it short, to the point, and specific to your job requirements.
2. Highlight the technical skills that could set you apart from other candidates, such as proficiency with Swift and Objective-C programming languages, wireframing, experience with AR/VR, and machine learning apps.
2. Don’t mention anything which is not true because any slightest fabrication can be grounds for termination. For example, if you have proficiency with Swift and not with Objective-C programming language, then do not mention Objective-C.
3. Customize your resume in a way that directly matches your skills with the job requirements. Be honest about your skills because the hiring process may require practical assessments.
3. Don’t experiment with your resume. In short, don’t use irregular fonts, colors, and text sizes. Stick with a simple and easy-to-read format.
4. Mention your work and coding experience as an iOS developer intern or the projects you have worked on. Include the name of the tech companies, your role, work period, and your responsibilities.
4. Don’t make any typing mistakes. Proofread it once you complete writing your resume. Wrong spelling could give a wrong impression to the employer that you are not focused enough.
5. You also need to mention your education information, including qualifications with institution name, passing year, and location. You can also add relevant certificates.
5. Don’t mention your personal details or confidential information apart from contact information. Avoid adding your photo, height, or marital status.
6. Showcase your achievements, including major completed iOS development projects and awards. Mention all these in reverse chronological order.
6. Don’t hide gaps in your education and work experience. Instead, be honest and confident while explaining the reason behind the gaps.
With the perfect resume, you must want to apply to a company that helps you grow as an iOS app developer. Isn’t it? So, check some of the factors to consider while choosing a company.
How to Choose Your Company?
Everyone has different criteria for selecting a company. Let’s discuss some of the criteria and reasons to make the selection process easy for you.
|1. Reputed Company|
|2. Startup Company|
|3. Experienced Company|
You can also choose a company based on the following factors:
- Specialization (Company’s Business Niche)
- Career Progression
- Learning/Development Opportunities
- Work/Life Balance
- Employee Retention Rate
Now, we will check a variety of questions that you may expect in your interview for the position of iOS developer. Shall we move to the next section?
Prepare for iOS Developer Interview
We know your big day is coming up. Therefore, we have created a PDF file for the best iOS questions and answers for interview that you can download and practice anytime, anywhere.
Now, don’t you want to know the roles and responsibilities of an iOS app developer and where to apply for the iOS developer position? If yes, then check the FAQ section.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the roles and responsibilities of an iOS app developer?
- Developing iOS applications based on project requirements
- Fixing bugs and testing new features
- Implementing new application features
- Maintaining code quality and performance of the iOS app
- Develop APIs to support mobile functionalities
- Work closely with the mobile development team, including the design and testing team
- Accomplish software development goals within the specified timeline
- Able to program in Swift and Objective-c programming language
Where to apply for the iOS developer position?
- Freelancing Websites, such as Toptal
- College/University Job Boards
- Job Fairs
- Career Placement Centers
- Official Company Website
- Social Media Platforms, such as LinkedIn
Begin Your Journey
We hope that all this information will help you to brighten your iOS application development career. Also, you successfully learn to build iOS apps and complete your job hunting journey.
In any case, if you have any iOS development project in your mind and want to discuss it with professional iOS developers, then get in touch with us. We are a leading iOS app development company in the USA, Canada, and India, with a strong portfolio of 2500+ iOS apps. Gallery Guardian, Glovo and Lacy are some of the best apps developed by us and perform exceptionally in the market.
This page was last edited on April 7th, 2021, at 5:00.