This blog includes information for mental health startups and entrepreneurs who want to create mental health apps. Rounded up three effectual solutions by Talkspace & Meru Health, which startups can consider during mental health app development.
We live in the digital age where there is an app for that! The usage of self-care apps is growing exponentially. But, the self-care apps are not the total replacements of the traditional mental illness, especially when it is serious mental health issues.
However, self-help apps provide sessions on why patients are actually feeling distressing. If we are talking about mental illness, technology adds new elements to traditional mental health services.
According to the report from National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), “Mental illness is the leading cause of disability among young Americans.” Furthermore, mood and anxiety disorders like depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are gradually affecting people.
- As per the report from the World Health Organization, “Globally, over 300 million people suffer from depression and 260 million suffer from anxiety disorders.” And, over 260 million are living with “anxiety disorders”, and many of these people live with both i.e. depression and anxiety disorder.
- Mental Illness is common in the United States. As per the report from National Institute of Mental Health, “1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in the United States.” Furthermore, approximately 1 in 25 adults in America live with a serious mental illness.
Image Source: usatoday
- In this image, you can see the youth whose age is from 13 to 18 years are suffering from the mental health condition, mood disorder, behavioral disorder, and an anxiety disorder.
However, these figures are expected to grow in the future and millennials are responding by looking for help with the mobile apps. This trend is not something short-term, but it is clearly established trend, which is picking up the pace.
The Landscape of Mental Health Apps
- According to the Statista, the graph states one of the most attractive healthcare sectors for mHealth (mobile health) app companies of 2017 as it includes a connection to doctor, diabetes, heart, health & fitness, medication, mental health, and hospital efficiency.
- Google Trends: Here is the trend of the keyword ‘mental health app’ which is searched by users, and it has been increasing constantly. And, this is what you can see in this graph.
- Talkspace: Founded in 2012, it offers mental therapy through an app. With total funding amount $59M, the company has grown its therapist user base to 1000 specialists. According to the SimilarWeb, you can see Usage and Google Play rank that are #392 & #470 respectively.
- Meru Health: Founded in 2015, this app is designed to help people who are living with depression, anxiety and burnout symptoms. The app gives access to engaging and easy-to-use tools, which help to reduce mental illness symptoms of users.
3 Effectual Solutions That Mental Health Startups Need to Check Before Developing Mental Health Apps
1. Provide Customized & Real-Time Treatment
Depression is the most common problem. As per the report from the National Institute of Mental Health, depression is a disorder, which affects people’s mental health and affects negatively on how people feel, think and handle activities of their daily lives. Well, some of the common signs of depression are feeling sadness, guilty, empty, anxiety, and irritability.
Image Source: talkspace
When it comes to mental health, it is important to provide customized treatment for mental illness. You need to provide customized solutions, which can lessen the symptoms of depression. You can provide personalized solutions like sessions, live chat with doctors in the mental health app.
One of the effective solutions can be personalized programs for mental illness, including depression, anxiety, low mood & motivation, and these programs can be on weekly basis. By providing the customized programs on mental illness, your app users can easily cope up with these disorders. Furthermore, they can easily connect with experienced and professional therapists online at any time and anywhere.
Furthermore, on-demand messaging connects patients or app users with professional therapists so that they can start the treatment no matter where they are.
2. Be Credible
It is important to be credible in mental health service. People who suffer from depression, feel lonelier than we realize. So, you need to be reliable in your own niche so that patient can rely on your mental health services. Also, you need to come up with the solutions in terms of features and functionalities that address the issues of the mental illness.
For instance, Meru Health app proffers an eight-week treatment program for depression, anxiety, burnout, and different mental health issues and disorders. These programs are conducted by licensed and experienced therapists.
Image Source: meruhealth
And, these programs are based on cognitive behavioral therapy, behavioral activation, and mindfulness. The app only charges if the patients or app users feel better. Simultaneously, being a startup, you can also consider providing such programs as being credible in the mental health niche. Furthermore, reliability is a cornerstone of business, which is pivotal to achieve when it comes to developing successful mental health apps like Meru Health.
3. Digital Therapeutics Solutions
People who suffer from depression, anxiety, and have burnout symptoms, they usually find out antidepressants effective for them. Undeniably, they need safe and more effective solutions to get out of it. And, they simply need a wide range of options to choose from.
Talking about the digital therapeutics, it is a new category of mobile apps, which help treat diseases by changing patient behavior and provide remote monitoring to enhance long-term health results in the patients. Well, it depends on the disease as patients can be encouraged by these programs whether it is diet and exercise programs to adhere to drug intake regimes.
This is where the digital therapeutic solution comes, and it has become the key to modern healthcare. So, there is an important feature named live sessions on which user can ask the therapist to come online for a video session anytime and anywhere.
Image Source: talkspace
By using digital therapeutics, the large amount of data can be collected from each patient or app user of his/her healing journey. In addition, it is important to proffer features to enable them with recognition and learning of important individual factors and patterns. It allows customized and individualized care delivery, which is more likely to lessen depressive symptoms. So, being a startup or an entrepreneur, you need to come up with such solutions, which can be easily accessible to your patients or customers.
Well, the stigma around mental illness has faded away due to the emergence of mental health apps. In the absence of a therapist, mental health apps help sufferers to heal completely from sufferings like anxiety, depressions or any other form of mental illness. To create an effective, consistent in the quality of care & safe mental health app, it is important to consider these solutions, which you have just gone through.
Being a startup or entrepreneur, if you want to help your patients to come out of mental illness through mental health app, then you can cross-verify your app idea with us as we are a leading iOS app development company and have already developed over 3500 mobile apps with diverse features and functionalities.
In case, if you still have any query or confusion regarding mental health app development or want to know how much does it cost to develop apps for Mental Health, how long does it take to make an app for digital health, app development cost India or mobile app estimation template, then you can get in touch with us through the contact us form. One of our sales representatives will revert to you as soon as possible. The consultation is absolutely free of cost.
You may also like: